Duncan | Kent, PLLC
Comprehensive Legal Representation in Mississippi
Call Our Office Today 800-445-3564 601-345-3136

October 2017 Archives

Seeking nonparental custody of a child

Seeking custody of a child who is not your biological child poses some important challenges you must address head-on if you hope to win custody of the child you love. Custody cases can vary wildly, depending on the individual factors at play in the situation. In some instances, nonparental custody is an obvious solution for a child in great need of stability, while in many other cases, a court may believe that the child's biological parents still offer a reasonably safe and beneficial home for the child.

Did your black eye make you eligible for a U visa?

When you came to Mississippi in search of a better life for yourself and your family, you were willing to work hard and do what's necessary to make it happen. In fact, your first few years were fairly enjoyable as you set down roots and grew accustomed to life in the United States. Yes, you were nervous and suffered anxiety from time to time regarding your residency status, but you also knew you were not alone, as thousands of other immigrants share similar circumstances.

What are your divorce priorities?

Divorce is different for each couple, and each divorce requires a different approach to reach satisfactory terms for the parties involved. A friend's divorce that you witnessed may seem very similar to your own impending divorce, or have some of the same moving parts, but it is unlikely that the exact same legal actions will lead to the same results. If you face a divorce, you need to assess your priorities before you begin building your strategy for getting through this difficult season.

Facing Mississippi DUI charges

Drinking and driving under any circumstances is never wise, even if you believe that you are under the legal limit. In Mississippi, drunk driving charges can carry significant legal penalties and trigger consequences that may last for years to come. However, this does not mean you should simply accept DUI charges. Like any criminal charge, it is always wise to fight the charges and push for dismissal. If convicted, you may lose your license, face a hefty fine and in some cases, serve jail time.

Can I change my child support payments if I can't afford them?

As a parent, you want the best for your child, even if you are no longer with the child's other parent. However, child support orders regularly become heavier burdens than a parent can reasonably bear. This can happen a number of ways. A court may hand down an order that is unreasonable during the initial custody dispute, or your circumstances may change, making a once reasonable order very difficult to honor.


Ridgeland Office
571 Highway 51 Suite B
Ridgeland, MS 39157

Toll Free: 800-445-3564
Phone: 601-345-3136
Fax: 769-300-0614
Ridgeland Law Office Map

Artesia Office
17918 Pioneer Boulevard
Suite 209
Artesia, CA 90701

Phone: 562-283-6672
Map & Directions