Duncan | Kent, PLLC

Comprehensive Legal Representation in Mississippi

Call Our Office Today


Steps to get a K-1 visa

On Behalf of | Apr 4, 2023 | Blog, Immigration

If you are a Mississippi resident engaged to someone who is a citizen of another country, you can use a K-1 nonimmigrant visa to bring them into the United States. Several steps are involved before the non-citizen can immigrate to the United States to get married.

File form I-129F

Getting a K-1 nonimmigrant visa, commonly known as a fiancé visa, is to file form I-129F with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. A United States citizen must complete the form. In addition to proving that you are a citizen, you must submit texts, emails or other proof that the intended marriage is legitimate. The customs service can take up to 15 months to approve the form.

File form DS-160

Once approved, you will receive a notice that your case has been transferred to the U.S. Department of State’s National Visa Center. The message will also include a time and location for an interview with the intended spouse living overseas. They must provide additional information, such as proof that you can support your spouse once married and information to prepare the foreign citizen’s passport. It will take two to three months for the United States embassy in the foreign country to process this information.

Come to the U.S. and get married

After the documents have been approved, you will get your K-1 visa. It is vital not to open the envelope containing it. The immigrant must give it to customs when they get to the United States. The couple must be married within 90 days, or the foreign citizen must return home.

Immigrating to the United States to get married is a lengthy process and requires a K-1 Visa. If you are engaged and wish to marry soon, begin researching your options for helping your partner obtain this visa.

Practice Areas

Get A Free Initial Consultation

FindLaw Network