Comprehensive Family-Based Immigration Services
At Duncan | Kent, PLLC, we handle a variety of immigration issues, including family-based immigration.
If you and your family have questions about obtaining permanent resident status in the U.S., contact our law office today. We provide immigration law services in Ridgeland, Mississippi, as well as Artesia, California.
Two Types Of Family-Based Immigration
Under U.S. immigration law, there are two kinds of family-based adjustment of status:
- Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas
- Family Preference Immigrant Visas
In terms of immigration, an immediate relative is defined as a person with a close family relationship with a U.S. citizen. An unlimited number of immediate relative visas are available for:
- The spouse of a U.S. citizen
- A U.S. citizen’s unmarried child who is under 21 years of age
- An orphan who will be adopted in the U.S. by a U.S. citizen
- An orphan adopted in another country by a U.S. citizen
- The parent of a U.S. citizen who is 21 years of age or older
Family preference immigrant visas are available for more distant family relationships, and these visas are for the relatives of U.S. citizens and also for the relatives of lawful permanent residents. However, there are yearly limits on the number of family preference visas, which are divided into these categories:
- Family First Preference, which is for unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and for any children the unmarried sons and daughters may have
- Family Second Preference, which is for the minor children, spouses and unmarried sons and daughters (at least 21 years of age) of lawful permanent residents
- Family Third Preference, which is for married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens and any spouses or minor children the sons and daughters may have
- Family Fourth Preference, which is for a U.S. citizens’ brothers and sisters and their minor children and spouses, if the U.S. citizens are 21 years of age or older
Helping You Through A Complicated Process
U.S. immigration laws are complex, and mistakes are common in the immigration process. A single error could be extremely costly and time-consuming. When you contact us, we can explain your options, help you file an immigrant visa petition and handle your case from start to finish.
Contact Duncan | Kent, PLLC, For Immigration Legal Services
In Mississippi, we serve immigration clients in the Jackson area and throughout Hinds, Madison and Rankin counties. In California, we provide immigration legal services in Artesia and the surrounding areas. For a consultation with an immigration lawyer, email us or call us in Ridgeland toll free at 800-445-3564. Our Artesia office can be reached at 562-283-6672.